Institute for the Quantitative Study of Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity (QSIDE)
Institute for the Quantitative Study of Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity (QSIDE), Williamston, Massachusetts
QSIDE is the pre-eminent research-into-action organization applying a unique, innovative blend of mathematics, data science, and computation to social justice questions.
Senior Research and Operations Fellow (Work entirely remotely) Sept 2021 – Present
Research Fellow (Worked entirely remotely) June 2021 – Sept 2021
– Conducted extensive literature review and wrote the project narrative for a study on modern slavery and online child exploitation which led the organization to partner with an international financial organization that has paid $75,000 to create a research lab that has the goal of creating a solution that disrupts online human exploitation practices.
– Contributed research questions and served as the organization’s social science research lead for a criminal justice prevention study which the organization partnered with the Race and Equity Center at the University of Southern California to work on. Findings from this research are going to be submitted as policy briefs to the State of California, which if implemented will result in about a 10% reduction in the number of unwarranted and racially biased arrests.
– Promoted after 3 months due to strong research abilities and outstanding performance with assigned organizational operational tasks (research fellowship was only supposed to last 3 months).
– Performed integral daily tasks, such as setting up meetings across multiple time zones, supervising 4 junior fellows, and creating Google Sheets files, which has resulted in 85% more efficient workflow exchanges within the organization’s staff, and quicker document exchange with the organization’s external partners.
– Solicited, created, and partnered with a multidisciplinary team of 4 (data scientist, social scientist, human trafficking activist, and mathematician) across different time zones to work on creating the foundation for the Stopping Trafficking And Modern-day Slavery Project (STAMP) research lab.